These days writing a good CV is more than just about making it look good on the human eye; it also has to be optimised so that it is returned in prominent enough page ranking so a recruiter will find it when he is sourcing for the role. This will only happen if you key your CV with the language a recruiter would use in his Boolean search strings. Im going to give you three golden rules:
1. Job Title

Recruiters almost always search using Job Titles first. It should come as no surprise that if a recruiter is looking for a Product Manager, that the term Product Manager is going to feature prominently in his sourcing strategy. This is important if you aiming for a role with a job title that youve never held something you might do if you are going for a career progressive move, transitioning between industries or if you have been working in an organisation that has uses non standard nomenclature. So, quite simply, if you have a target job in mind, the job title of that target job needs to appear in your document.
You can state it explicitly as an objective:
i.e Now looking for roles as a Product Manager
Or use parenthese to make it clear that you perform that function in your current role even if you do not have official sanction.
i.e Product Analyst (responsibilities of a Product Manager) or Product Analyst (target job Product Manager)
2. Industry Jargon

Jargonize your CV. This is important if you work an industry that has uses its own distinct terminology (Clue: most of us do). Recruiters tend to have an inbuilt bias for candidates who come from the same industry as the client organisation they are recruiting for, under the presumption that most employers carry that bias for in industry candidates themselves.
Recruiters will use industry jargon as a method of filtering priority in industry candidates from those who come from everywhere else. What these terms are can be anything from named categories (financial services) to obscura known only to industry insiders (e.g. name of an industry specific software package or a legislative acronym). For a job seeker, you can keep yourself from being filtered out by populating your CV with terminology that the recruiter will use to narrow down his candidate list.
i.e If you are a Product Manager within the payments sector, putting the terms
Issuing Banks, Acquiring Banks, Merchant Implementations, Merchant On-boarding would probably be a good idea. They are terms that are unlikely to be appear on a CV of a non payments candidate and hence a recruiter will likely insert them into a Boolean search string as a candidate filtration technique.

3. Multiple Occurrence

Where you rank on the search results list is almost as important as appearing on the list in the first place. If you end up on page 17, believe me, it wont matter how good your CV might look the recruiter will never get that far to read it. A simple yet effective way to improve you page ranking is to have multiple occurrences of the relevant search terms within your document. SEO marketeers have long known about this keyword stuffing technique as a means of gaming search engines, and similar tactics can be usefully deployed on the CV. Most online CV databases and almost all proprietary recruiter databases can rank results based on occurrence; so youve got the tricky but do-able task of putting in the relevant terms into your CV as many times as you can get away with. A sensible technique is expanding upon a base term.
i.e. Java Programmer, with 10 years experience in Java Beans, Java Servlets, Java Server Pages (JSP), Javascript, J2EE, J2ME.
See what Im doing here? Its keyword stuffing for sure, but Im keeping it relevant, congruous and in just-about English.
Have a look at your CV and see if you can come up with any improvements based on the 3 rules Ive outlined here. Remember not to go overboard there is a big difference between optimising your chances and blatantly tricking your way past search filters. At the end of the day, your CV will have to be read by the human eye at some stage and you need to come across as a top ranking candidate, not a clever clogs who has just gamed the system.

If you enjoyed this post, share it!